West Coast Life Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesPortalRegisterLog in

Roleplay tutorial

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
M1ST3R M4NG4N0
Golden Poster
Golden Poster
M1ST3R M4NG4N0

Roleplay tutorial Empty
PostSubject: Roleplay tutorial   Roleplay tutorial Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:19 pm

This is a roleplay tutorial for newbie roleplayers.

0.1 Introduction

Welcome to LieuR's guide about how to roleplay in any SA-MP servers.
In the beginning roleplaying can be a bit thought, but you will learn in time how easy it really is.
This guide will help you with all the basic stuff about roleplaying.
So let's get started.

0.1 Introduction
0.2 Basic Information
0.3 What are PK and CK
0.4 What are IC and OOC
0.5 What is metagame
0.6 What is powergaming
0.7 What is deathmatching
0.8 Roleplay Guide

0.2 Basic Information

As said: Roleplaying in samp is a bit hard in the beginning, but it gets really easy later on.
The main, and most important tool of roleplaying in samp is to use a command called "/me [MSG]"
This command will tell everyone around you, what you are doing.
If someone carjack you, and doesn't "/me" everything in it, it doesn't count, and an admin might punish the player, and you'll get your car back.
If you are in a gangfight or so, it is really hard to roleplay the same time while shooting. Becourse when you write a "/me" someone else might just come and shoot you, and you'll die.
There are some nice tools called keybinders. With those tools you can just press a button and you can set it to say /me unlocks his holster, and slowly picks up his gun from it.
Then you can already switch to your gun, and start shooting.
Also, in almost every case, you'll have to "/me". If you fail to "/me" something which should be "/me'ed" you could end up in a punishment.

0.1 Introduction
0.2 Basic Information
0.3 What are PK and CK
0.4 What are IC and OOC
0.5 What is metagame
0.6 What is powergaming
0.8 Roleplay Guide

0.3 What are PK and CK

PK, and CK are shortcuts of PK=Player Kill and CK=Character Kill.

Okay, now to the explanation of PK.
PK means Player Kill, and is when you just get killed/fall of a cliff/drown, etc
Let's say that you are wanted dead, and someone is chasing you, to kill you, becuorse you didn't pay him for the drugs or so.
He catches you, maybe toture you, and in the end, he kills you.
He doesn't want to CK you, and he might tell you that in /b(local ooc chat.)
When he killed you(PlayerKill) you just end up at the hospital, and will remember nothing in IC.
You can for example not go kill him after he just killed you, for OOC revenge or so.
You can't remember anything that just happend just when he killed you, but you will still remember what happended before, like: That you made friends with another guy or so.

Okay, that's just the basic's of PK. If you still are having trouble with how it works, please contact an admin in game, to get further explanation.

Now to the explanation of CK.
CK means Character Kill.
Let's take the example above where a guy is chasing you, and caughts you.
You did a heavy damage to his gang or so, and he really wants you eliminated.
He want's to CK you, so he have to write an application on the forum about CK'ing you.
The admin's have to accept it, so do YOU!
CK will get your character banned, and you will have to make a new one.
The CK'ed guys friend will go around and wonder where you are.
Maybe the police will find your body, and take up an investegation? Maybe, maybe not.
On the new char you will offcourse be like "New in the city" make new friends etc.
You will keep your stats, means like level, etc. Not sure about the money, ask the admins about that.

0.1 Introduction
0.2 Basic Information
0.3 What are PK and CK
0.4 What are IC and OOC
0.5 What is metagame
0.6 What is powergaming
0.8 Roleplay Guide

0.4 What are IC and OOC

In every roleplay server there are something called IC(In character) and OOC(Out of character).
These are also very important if you want to roleplay correct.
IC means In Character, and is when you do something with your character(person) inside the game.
OOC means Out of Character and is something you do outside the game(Something you are doing in real life).
IC could also be understanded as "In game".
Example, if you sit and want to chat to everyone about the real life(but not inside the game) you could just use the command called /o [MSG] to chat to everyone.
If you tell something that is IC(In Character) in the OOC(Out of Character) chat, you will be punished for something called metagaming, we will return to that later.
There is also a command called /b [MSG] so you can chat to everyone who are near to you, in an OOC way.
Example:
This is the use of the command called /o [MSG]
((OOC: John Smith)) Hello everyone, how are you?
((OOC: Lucas Miller)) Im fine. But a bit bored, could you meet somewhere IC to hang out?
((OOC: John Smith)) Sorry, but it is not allowed to give out IC informations in OOC chat!

0.1 Introduction
0.2 Basic Information
0.3 What are PK and CK
0.4 What are IC and OOC
0.5 What is metagame
0.6 What is powergaming
0.8 Roleplay Guide

0.5 What is metagame

I already gave an example of metagaming in the OOC and IC section.
Anyway, to metagame is to give out IC details in an OOC chat.
If someone use an ooc chat to get any ic informations from you, you should just ignore him/her.
If he/she keeps asking, you should simple /report [ID] Metagaming.

0.1 Introduction
0.2 Basic Information
0.3 What are PK and CK
0.4 What are IC and OOC
0.5 What is metagame
0.6 What is powergaming
0.8 Roleplay Guide

0.6 What is powergaming

Powergaming could be if you for example do
/me takes his knife out of his pants, and stabs John Smith with it.
Want to know what was wrong in that?
1. The person who did /me didn't have any knife, and could therefor not perform this action. The person should switch to the knife, so you can see he/she uses the knife, and that they really got it.
2. Did you notice that the person just "stabbed" John Smith, without giving him a chance to dodge?
That's just wrong wrong wrong.
The person should either do /attempt hitting John Smith with the knife, or do /me Attemps to stab John Smith in the back.
Then John Smith should either write /do Suceeds, since John Smith is slow, and couldn't get away.
or /do Failed, since John Smith is fast and just made it to move a little bit to dodge.

0.1 Introduction
0.2 Basic Information
0.3 What are PK and CK
0.4 What are IC and OOC
0.5 What is metagame
0.6 What is powergaming
0.8 Roleplay Guide

In roleplay servers you do not, and i mean NOT go around and just shoot everyone for no reason.
If you want to go around and shoot everyone, you should go into a DM(Deathmatching) server and do it there.
If you want to kill anyone IC, you have to have a reason for killing him/her.
Example: You are a gang leader, and someone betraded you with some money or so, and you give him some warnings. Then you could trace him up, and kill him. Don't forget to roleplay it, with lots of "/me's", gang members. No one would go kill a man alone if were in a gang?

0.1 Introduction
0.2 Basic Information
0.3 What are PK and CK
0.4 What are IC and OOC
0.5 What is metagame
0.6 What is powergaming
0.8 Roleplay Guide

0.8 Roleplay Guide

Before you read this last step, it is very important that you have read all the other steps.
If you didn't read the other steps, you might have no clue what will happend here, and might not learn anything from it.

Okay, now i will ,ake a few roleplay examples, read them carefully,
Everything which has ** bla bla ** in front and behind it, is something that is /me'ed.

Bank rob example:
**The doors into the bank quickly opens, and three men with elephant hats shows up**
Robber1 Shouts: Get on the fucking floor everybody, or we will shoot your ass off!
**Robber2 quickly runs to the safety box, drops his bag, and takes out some explosives from it, and plants it**
Robber2 Shouts: Get some cover we got 10 seconds!!
(( Robber2 writes /robbank ))
**Robber3 quickly drops his bag, opens it, and puts the money into it**
**You hear some police sirens**
Robber3 Shouts: I got it, now let's fucking get outta ere'!
**They quickly opens the door, and runs out**
Police1 Shouts: Put your hands up the air, you are out-numbered!
**The robbers drops they're weapons, and get's put into the police car**

------

ROLEPLAY GUIDE #2

Epic Roleplay Guide
Written by Peter Gambino

Epic Roleplay is a very unique experience in the way we view Roleplay. If you are new to Roleplay, This would actually be the best place to start. Communities will tell you "Strict RP is booring" when that is not the case, It is you that is booring. This isnt about strict Roleplay this is about what Roleplay really is and how it has been hijacked by this aura that Pen 1 and Godfather made of scripted life where you Roleplay positions in what they call "factions". There is no unique Character Building it is all based around your job. If you want to be a mafia man, You act tough, put on an Italian skin and your cool? Negative. This guide is to show new people the proper way to Roleplay so they don't get sucked in the Faction Criminal based mentality and to also help those who want to come to Epic Roleplay but got introduced to Roleplay based on a "Dont Metagame, Dont Powergame" instead of a Character Building manner which this guide will primarily focus on.

Step 1: Create A Character

Lets begin with creating your character. First we shall pick a ancestry. Where is your character from? Is he Multi-Racial? Lets pick a Danish guy. We'll name him Emil Petersen. You can pick any name and be from anywhere, The choice is yours.

Next, You should pick an age and a small history of him. Was he born of a high standard? Or in a small mudhut place? Give a story for him, Its useful. Thats pretty self explanatory.

Step 2: Pick Character Traits

So you got a name, And a origin? Is that it? Nope. Now we have to mold a character, His every trait, The way he reacts to things, His temper and such. Maybe hes a natural cook? Maybe hes Hot Headed? Maybe hes neurotic? Lets take Emil.

I'll make Emil..
Daredevil - Daredevils seek the extreme side of life, taking risks and doing things that could harm them
Frugal - Pretty much a cheap person, A coupon cutter.
Angler - He has a natural thing for fishing, Giving him a natrual interest and better performance.
Kleptomaniac - Cannot stop themselves from hoarding objects

Emil will have a danish accent. Because of Emil's traits, These will affect his way of thinking and life choices. Emil is the kind of guy that would pull up to somebody willing to race and speed down a highway, without fully thinking due to his Daredevil trait. He's also the kind of guy who when asked to donate to a cause, Would blow it off due to his Frugal trait. Emil's house concist of thousands of Baseball Cards piled up, Alot of doubles due to his Kleptomaniac trait. He is also a recreational Fisher due to his Angler trait. Do you see how every trait affects my character? I give Emil things that make him unique. This is not a chance to make a "Super Strong Italian Mafia Dude", Thats not the point. Its to make unique Non Superman characters that you can enjoy Roleplaying.

I got my idea from the traits from one of my favorite games, The Sims 3. If you are interested in seeing some other ideas for traits, Go [Dear Guest/Member you can't see link before replyclick here to register]

Step 3: What exsactly do I do in this world?

Roleplaying is basically taking on the role of a character you created, Now if you've fallowed the guide you have a character and his personality made, Or you have a base to build off of. Roleplaying consist of what your character would do. So lets say you've arrived into town and you need a place to live. Emil has just arrived into town, He doesnt go for a cab because of his Frugal trait instead he'd rather make the walk. He finds a cheap dirty small motel and also do to his Frugal trait he sleeps there. The next morning he gets up and begins to look for a job, Any job. Due to his Daredevil trait, He'd try about anything. He's offered a job fishing Bass by an English lad by the name of Norman Trottah, Speaking with a English accent, He acts like a pompous jerk but Emil needs the money and will do anything for it so he agrees to work with him. He spends the day fishing with Norman, Talking about his history. Emil being only 22 had not seen much of the world, He had moved to the city for new opprotunities. The oddity of how the city came about. Click Here to learn more about that. After the day was done. Emil decided to go for a drink down at the Pub with Norman. There he met Tracy Gold, She had a very deep voice, But barely spoke. She has a very intimidating look, And stared at him from behind the bar. Eventually Emil went back to the motel, Sat on the couch a bit and watched some tele, Snacked on some chips.

Step 4: Creating Goals

Roleplay can get boring without goals, Wether its to overthrow the Totaliterian Government and institute a democracy (Thats all based on your characters traits aswell) or open a Restaurant these goals will help you continue to enjoy Roleplay. Even if its just a mini goal. For example, Emil wakes up after his long day fishing and decides to start looking for a apartment before he goes out fishing again. He goes door to door, Puts up posters. You can do that Here and ask around and eventually he finds a lad named Dereck Hinland. He is a doctor at the local hospital, Hes very nice, Family Oriented and very calm. He offers to share his Apartment with Emil for a small fee of Five Hundred a week (90 days IG= 1 year IRl) and agrees and decides hes going to need to get a side job without just fishing as hes going to need to pay this off and have side money. Emil has finished a daily goal! Its not much but he achieved something. Your character might not always reach a goal and thats okay. You don't always get what you want in real life. Do not mix out of your character to try to reach these goals, Its strictly Roleplay.

Step 5: How to properley use Roleplay commands, What to do and not to do

First of all, There are two different worlds. In Character and Out of Character. Out Of Chracter should not interfere with your In Character world or affect it. Anything said in Brackets is considered OOC, They are adressing you directly and not Roleplaying with your character in which you should respond in brackets by using /lo, Which stands for Local OOC. There is Global and Local OOC, Local OOC is someone in your area speaking to you or someone else with brackets. Global OOC if activated is server wide that everyone can see. If someone harrases you OOCly and disrupts your Roleplay, Feel free to use /report to file a report againt the player.

Now to focus on /me's, Every action you make should be typed out in a /me, If you are fishing you would type a /me for whatever your doing so for example

/me grabs ahold of his bait can and flips the lid with his left thumb
/me takes out a small worm between his fingers and latches on to the hook
/me puts the bait can back down and gets ready to cast by extending his arms backward
/me throws foward, casting the line.

Now to show how far it went, Which shouldnt always be really far as its Roleplay and not every cast will be perfect. You would use /do, /do is used to show situations, enviorments, character apperances and such.

/do The line lands rather far down the river, 30 KL.

This may be confusing but you will get the hang of it. There are some rules to Roleplaying that you must fallow to respect other people and not ruin there Roleplay, That is not to Metagame, Powergame or Deathmatch. Metagaming is mixing the IC and OOC world as we discussed before, They are two different worlds and dont affect each other. Powergame is basically, Not making your character superman or giving him unfair advantages over other players. Deathmatch means to kill without reason, Which if your Roleplay properly will not happen.

Step 6: Long Term Character Customaizaiton

In a always changing Enviorment, People change. People grow old, Grow in gray hair, There personality's change. Your character will progress and grow in this world. He will outgrow traits, Change his view on things. For Example, Emil after 50 years changed alot, He ended up fishing with Trottah and setting up a successful fishing business that generated him enough cash to buy a nice house along the river. Emil seeked the help of a Filipino Psychiatrist named Veronica Mabini who helped him control his Kleptomaniac tendencies, He ended up selling all his baseball cards. He got into a car accident in his 40's that almost killed him. He began to look at the world in a different way, and is less than a daredevil than he was. He began to study Airplanes in his older age and has an interest in now flying remote controlled airplanes he designs and flys at local parks, Hes a bit of a genius on them. Emil progressed and grew in the city like everyone else, Life experiences made him different from when he was younger, But hes still Emil. This is not an excuse to morph your character into something totally different, This is about letting your character grow. Maybe he'll develop Cancer, Talk with a lisp, Become emotionally unstable after his wife dies. Its all up to you, Your god to your character.

Back to top Go down
Rhyme
Golden Poster
Golden Poster
Rhyme

Roleplay tutorial Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay tutorial   Roleplay tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:40 am

This sounds so familiar, like I've read it before.
Back to top Go down
#wclmarcus
Veteran
Veteran
#wclmarcus

Roleplay tutorial Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay tutorial   Roleplay tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 am

Probally on SOLS forums,but also nice guide.

White: Marcus, we're allowed to say SOLS what's up with you? :s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roleplay tutorial Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay tutorial   Roleplay tutorial Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roleplay tutorial
Page 1 of 1